- Number of college students who report driving while intoxicated: 2.8 million. (NIAAA What Colleges Need to Know, 2007)
- People aged 12 to 20 drink 11% of all alcohol consumed in the United States. More than 90% is in the form of binge drinking. (Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Fact Sheets-Underage Drinking, 2011)
- Prevalence of binge drinking among those 18-24: 27.7%. (Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, 2009)
- Six counties accounted for more than half of the total estimated [underage drinking] costs in the state: Miami-Dade, Broward, Orange, Palm Beach, Hillsborough, and Duval. (Floridas State Epidemiology Workgroup, 2009)
For more information go to: http://www.addiction411.com/drunk-driving/
Local Statistics for Hillsborough County
- Over 9 billion drinks are consumed in Florida each year. Among persons who
drink, this translates into 88 drinks per person every month.
- 6,276 deaths occur annually due to alcohol use. This means that 17 people lose
their life every day consequent to alcohol use.
- Approximately 3% of Floridas Gross Domestic Product is spent on adverse events”traffic collisions, illnesses, injuries, and crimes (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2008)”caused by alcohol.
- The cost of excessive alcohol consumption in the United States in 2006 reached $223.5 billion or about $1.90 per drink, according to a new study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In 1998, this figure was $185 billion.
For more information, go to http://www.hcada.com/tampatac
For DUI stats, go to http://www.dmvflorida.org/florida-dui.shtml